Eglise Saint-Maurice

Chef Lieu, 73630, École
Open daily, throughout the year.


This church, which appears in pastoral visit records since the Middle Ages, was entirely rebuilt in 1780-81, following a fire that destroyed the village in 1778. Its large-scale design was erected by Francesco Luigi Garella in 1779.
The altars and statues of the Eglise Saint-Maurice were completely destroyed during the French Revolution. In 1818, work began on the church under the direction of the architect Bernard Triveli, in the popular Sardinian neo-Classical style. Two side chapels were built separately on either side of the large, vaulted nave, and the choir stalls were also modified to fit the main altar.