Notre Dame Church
Rue Saint Antoine, 73000, Chambéry
This baroque-style church is all that remains of a vast Jesuit convent. It contains a 17th century marble and gilded wood altarpiece, a 19th century organ and The Virgin of the Rosary, a remarkable work by one of David's pupils.
Masterwork of the convent of the Jesuits, the church Notre Dame was finished in 1646, during the most brilliant period of the Order. The front, althought of baroque style still simple. The blazon, visible above the entrance is wearing the arms of the duke Charles-Emmanuel Ist, who set down the first stone in 1599. By the richness of its decoration, the inside offers a real contrast with the front. Remade by Vicario in 1845, wonderful paintings and compositions decorate the vault, raised by a dome also very richly decorated. At the back of the choir there's the altarpiece in marble and golden wood. Many art pieces decorate the sides chapels, especially a virgin of wax dressed by the dressmaker Balmain.